Because the prop I had ordered on Amazon arrived late, I had to postpone my photo shoot for next week. This meant that I had nothing to do. Out of sheer boredom, I decided to edit a random image from an old photo shoot. Halfway through, I decided that I wanted to edit the image differently to how I normally edit an image so I looked at the image, Dark Lands and Evil Plans by photographer Brooke Shaden for inspiration (which just so happened to be the first image I came across looking at the images on my Mac).
I really wanted to use the dark blue/purple tones and yellow highlights of this image and apply it to mine. Most of the editing consisted of Curves and coloured layers.
Here is the entire process of the 37 layers from this:
The first thing I did is add a bit of contrast to the image.
I raised the highlights a little bit more.
I added a blue curves layer to the darker parts of the image.
I then changed the contrast on the RGB curves channel to make the image more ‘blue’. I also made the shadows darker and the highlights lighter.
I then adjusted the contrast on the blue channel whilst adjusting the RGB channel slightly.
Added a slight contrast ti the RGB curves channel
Darkened the overall image.
I added a light yellow layer and set the blend mode to light and the fill to 18%. This gave the image a slight yellow tinge without being too obvious.
I made the highlights lighter.
I then added a deep purple coloured layer and set the blend mode onto Darken and set the fill to 28%. This darkened the image adding a deep purple to the shadows of the image.
I then added another light yellow coloured layer and put the blend mode on overlay and the fill on 36%. This meant that the highlights had a yellow tint to them whilst the shadows remained deep purple.
I then decided that I wanted the image to be a lot darker so I added a dark blue layer and set the blend mode t multiply and the fill to 19%. This gave the whole image a slightly darker blue tint.
I then raised the Red and Blue curve channels to give the image a strong purple tint.
I then darkened the image using RGB curves.
Raised the highlights slightly.
Darkened the image further.
I raised the mid tones of the green curves layer and raised the mid tones of the RGB curves channel.
I then darkened te mid tones slightly.
I then Raised the red curves and darkened the green curves.
I then darkened the blue curves layer.
I then added a light green layer and changed the blend mode to multiply and set the fill on 16%. This added a greenish tinge to the highlights on the umbrella and back of the subject.
Raised the blue curves slightly.
I then adjusted the levels to lighten up the image.
I added a curves layer to the image and then layer masked it so only the face was lightened.
Raised the blue shadows whilst darkening the blue highlights using the blue curves channel
Darkened the shadows.
Darkened the blue shadows
Lightened the red curves.
Lightened the highlights to make them stand out.
Lightened the red curves channel and darkened the blue channel.
Darkened the blue channel further
From here, the overall editing was done, but I decided to play around with the selective colour tool to enhance the colours. Here I edited the green colours, making the highlights look more yellow.
I then edited the yellow colour to make the highlights more paler.
Edited the blue colour to make the umbrella a deeper colour.
I re-edited the yellow colour so that it was less paler.
I then decreased the saturation of the whole image.
This is final version of the image. I opened it on a PC and found that it looked a lot lighter than on my Mac. So i decided to darken it but i didn’t like it looked on my Mac. I decided to re-lighten the image and leave it how it was!